Thursday, November 1, 2007

A "Little" House

Yesterday we boarded a motor coach for a 2 ½ hour drive to Versailles. I must have said to Jay a half dozen times that I couldn’t believe I was in France! Some of the scenery was lovely, but for much of the trip it was very fogging. As we crossed over the Seine, we weren’t even able to see the water! Our tour guide spent much of the drive giving us a history lesson on France. She did an excellent job and had all of us laughing many times. After arriving in Versailles we toured one of the palace gardens before going to a local restaurant for a leisurely French lunch. We were seated with two retired English couples and enjoyed lovely table conversation. After finishing chocolate mousse and coffee, we headed back to the palace for a tour of some of the inside apartments (the king and queen had separate quarters) and the main gardens. The palace was truly incredible. Our tour guide was able to share many interesting anecdotes as we toured the palace. Did you know that Louis XVI is said to have only taken nine baths in his life? Or that when Marie Antoinette had her first child, the king invited a room full of people to be on hand and witness the birth? I’m certainly happy to live in the 21st century!

Jay in the famous Hall of Mirrors.


A couple of shots from the "backyard."


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Either Marie Antoinette loved to be the center of attention in a perverted sort of way, or the King needed witnesses to the actual birth as proof of birthright. That was a very interesting fact.

I'm addicted to viewing your blogsite. Mom Brenda.

Cher said...

Loving this!!
Keep enjoying every minute!!

Cherilyn

Mindy said...

How cool is this!!! I just LOVE reading about your trip - just wanted to you to know I am checking EVERYDAY! If you miss us (maybe) then check my blog. I have cute Halloween and first haircut pictures on there you might want to see.

Mom said...

I love this! How exciting. Please keep writing. I am living it with you.
love
mom marcie